Not a massive amount of visible progress, but that doesn’t mean we haven’t been busy. The keel assembly is to be bolted together, but you can’t get the nuts and bolts we need off the shelf in B&Q. So we have had to buy bronze rod, cut it to length, and tap threads on to match.
Elsewhere we have used silicon bronze screws, and in a couple of places we have had to drill large diameter holes, and use a bit of threaded bar as a diy nut.
The transom is now cut to size, and screwed to the giant knee we made up. That’s not going anywhere in a hurry.
With all the keel parts shaped, it’s time to bolt them together, with everything braced to a ridge plank to keep it in one place. And it’s really satisfying seeing how tight the fit between the keel parts is.
That messy paint is aluminium primer – all the parts have already been painted with wood preservative, but we are also painting primer in the parts that will be hidden from view.
We’ve also had our resident boatbuilding guru Nigel Gray back in, this time giving us tips on the black art of cutting the groove in the stem where the planks will slot in. Anything you want to know about the difference between the bearding line and the rabbet line, you’re in the right place. Just ask Mick here, he was taking it all in…