NORTH EAST MARITIME TRUST
2/3 Wapping Street
Tyne and Wear
13th April 2017
NOMINATIONS FOR APPOINMENT OF TRUSTEES AT THE
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING (AGM) 2017
I wrote to you on 26th March to notify of you of the date of this year’s AGM – Saturday 22nd April – and to invite nominations for trustees. I am now advising you that the trust has received three valid nominations by the due date to be considered for appointment.
These are from: Mr Mark Batey; Mr Alex Finnegan & Mr Martin Wilson.
Under paragraph 9.10 of the trust’s Articles of Association, I am obliged to give all current NEMT members at least seven days’ notice of any resolution to appoint a trustee at the Annual General Meeting. This resolution will be at item 4 on the agenda, below.
1. The Minutes of the 2016 AGM held on 04/06/2016;
2. The Annual Report 2016 (to follow);
3. Annual Accounts for the year ending September 2016 (income / expenditure and balance sheet to follow);
4. Election of trustees:
4.1. Nominations received from prospective trustees;
4.2. Trustees to retire (under paragraph 9.7 of the Memorandum of Association) – 1/3rd of the current directors, by seniority – Paul Nicholson and Jerry Dudman. Both offer themselves for re-election and have the support of the board.
5. Any other business.
Jerry Dudman Secretary NEMT
P.S. If you have received this by post, it is because we don’t have a current up-to-date email address for you. To save the trust the cost of postage, and you have email, please advise me of your address using the envelope enclosed.
NORTH EAST MARITIME TRUST
POLICY FOR VETTING TRUSTEES/DIRECTORS
The Charity Commission obliges all charities to have a policy on how it vets prospective and new trustees/directors. The following is NEMT’s policy on how its trustees/directors are vetted.
1. Anyone who expresses an interest in becoming, or is being considered as a prospective trustee is to be advised of the following:
You are prevented from acting as a trustee when any of the following apply:
You have an unspent conviction for an offence involving dishonesty or deception;
You are currently declared bankrupt (or subject to bankruptcy restrictions or an interim order);
You have an individual voluntary arrangement (IVA) to pay off debts with creditors;
You are disqualified from being a company director;
You have previously been removed as a trustee by the Charity Commission or the High Court due to misconduct or mismanagement;
You are disqualified or barred from acting as a trustee of NEMT under the Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act 2006.
2. All trustees will be required to sign a declaration to state that they are not prevented to act as a trustee of a charity, as above, and that they are willing to act as a trustee and understand NEMT’s purposes, objectives and rules as set out in our constitution and articles of association.
3. All trustees are also required to declare that:
The information provided is true, complete and correct;
You understand that it is an offence under section 60(1)(b) of the Charities Act 2011 to knowingly or recklessly provide false or misleading information;
NEMT’s funds will be held in an account in England or Wales;
Personal information and residency details for trustees named on the Charity Commission website are correct and you do not plan to add or change trustees or their residency in the near future;
You will comply with your responsibilities as a trustee set out in the Charity Commission’s guidance ‘The essential trustee (CC3)’, to be found here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-essential-trustee-what-you-need-to-know-cc3/the-essential-trustee-what-you-need-to-know
4. All trustees will also be required to declare that as NEMT has contact with vulnerable groups (including children):
You have read and understood the Charity Commission’s safeguarding guidance;
You have carried out all trustee eligibility tests the law requires;
You have read and understand NEMT’s policy on ‘Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Groups’.
5. A check will be made against the Charity Commission and Companies House records that individuals have not been disqualified from acting as a trustee or director.
6. This policy was agreed and adopted by NEMT’s board of trustees on 18th February 2015.